RIVERBEND PUPPY TRANSITION TRAINING
We highly recommend the puppy training provided by positive reinforcement trainers Jennifer Topalian at The Grateful Dog LLC, and Rachael West at Pawsitive Vibrations LLC. This is an amazing 3 week course that starts at 9 weeks and goes to 12 weeks of age. When your puppy comes home at approximately 12 weeks of age, he/she will have a great foundation of training and behavior started. The value of taking the puppies at 9 weeks is that the trainers will help to transition them from being a part of a group or litter, to being an individual. Puppies learn like little sponges at this stage, and under the proper guidance, they will blossom into wonderful little bundles of joy as opposed to the bundles of energetic shark-teeth they sometimes portray themselves as.
- LEARN HIS/HER NAME
- BEGIN CRATE TRAINING
- BEGIN HOUSE-TRAINING (NOTE: PUPPIES ARE NOT FULLY HOUSE-TRAINED, BUT ARE WELL STARTED.)
- BEGIN CAR RIDING ETIQUETTE
- SOCIALIZATION TO DOGS, CATS, CHILDREN, NOISES OF A NORMAL SUBURBAN HOME AND LIFESTYLE
- EXPOSURE TO STAIRS, ETC.
- LEARN TO UNDERSTAND AND DEVELOP HOUSEHOLD MANNERS SUCH AS NOT JUMPING, NIPPING, ETC
- LEARN TO “FOCUS” ON CUE
- LEARN “SIT”
- LEARN “DOWN”
- LEARN GO TO “PLACE/CRATE/BED”
- BEGIN A “STAY” CUE
- LEARN “TOUCH” FROM SHORT DISTANCES (COME).
- DEVELOP LOOSE LEASH WALKING
You are also provided a 30-45 minute training session upon pick up of your puppy. They will review the progress of your puppy and the training cues and words used for introducing your puppy into your home and family with continued success.
You can pick up your puppy here with us or transport can be arranged for our long-distance families at an additional charge.
They also have other training services they offer if you are located nearby, or if you have a vacation coming up and would be interested in their in-home boarding/training services. Feel free to visit their Facebook pages to go back through some of the photos, videos, and training tips they are sharing. Here are links to their Facebook pages:
Positive Training books we recommend:
- Puppy Socialization, An Insider’s Guide to Dog Behavioral Fitness, by Caryl Wolff
- Train Your Dog Positively, by Victoria Stilwell
- The Puppy Whisperer, A Compassionate, Nonviolent Guide to Early Training and Care, by Paul Owens and Terence Cranendonk
- The Dog Whisperer, A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training, by Paul Owens
- Don’t Shoot The Dog!, by Karen Pryor
- Inside of a Dog, What Dogs See, Smell, and Know, by Alexandra Horowitz